Day 15: Meal prep Monday - Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos

This is another easy recipe. Who ever invented the slow cooker is a genius! It's cooking for the lazy.  Haha. Just throw everything together and then you let it sit and cook for without having to stand next to the stovetop to stir.

You can find the original recipe here. Again, I like to deviate from the recipe. I added chopped green chile peppers, an onion, and green onions (I love onions). I also doubled the recipe. (The chicken is to last me all week for lunch and dinner. I'm one of the few people who is content eating the same thing every day.) And I added my greens at the last 10-15 mins of the cook time. WHY? The last time I added the green chiles in the beginning, they got very soft and lost its flavor. Plus I love the taste of cilantro and green onions. The longer you cook herbs, they tend to lose the flavor.

Spray crockpot and add chicken

I have 4.5 pounds of chicken, therefore I used 2 packets of taco seasoning

Add to both sides of the chicken

Add salsa, chopped onions and squeeze two large limes

Cook on High heat for 4 hours or low for 6-7 hours

I added green chile peppers because I love them in my tacos

While your chicken is cooking, chop up cilantro and green onions 

Upon the 4 hours cook time, use two forks to shred the chicken

Add the green chile peppers, chopped cilantro and green onions and let it cook for the last 10 mins

Voila!! All done!! 

Serve with steamed broccoli

Ingredients:
  • 4 pounds skinless, boneless, chicken breasts 
  • 2 packet taco seasoning mix 
  • 2 (16 oz) jar salsa - I used medium to give it a little spicy kick
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/2 cup sweet vidalia onion
  • 2 (4oz) chopped green chilie peppers
  • juice from 2 small limes
Instructions:
  1. Spray crockpot with olive oil spray. Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the top and bottom of chicken, then cover with salsa, sweet onion and lime juice.
  2. Place lid on top and cook for 4 hours on high, or 6-7 hours on low. The last 10-15 mins: add the chopped green chilies, cilantro and green onions.
  3. Shred chicken with two forks. 
  4. Serve with taco shells or tortillas, adding on your favorite toppings. I am using romaine lettuce for my low carb diet. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts