Things I've learned on my Third "all-inclusive" Cancun trip



We celebrated our 32nd birthday once again in Cancun, Mexico. We spent a little under $1000/person for 6 days and 5 nights for an all-inclusive resort at Riu Dunamar. This resort was beautiful!! The only "bad" thing was the beach had a lot of seaweed. But other that that, it was such a great resort!

Days leading up to our trip, the forecast called for 80% chance of rain every single day of our trip. I felt bummed and was ready for another rainy Cancun trip (like in 2014). However, the weather was perfect!!

I have visited Cancun three times, but have stayed in different resorts. And honestly, they are ALL the same! I have documented some of my experiences in Cancun from the past trips to the most current trip:

  • If you like Canadians, Cancun is the place to go. Canadians make up 85% of the tourists on the resort. 
  • Americans are hated by other countries. There were people "booing" Americans when they were on stage. Why though?  
  • Never drink the tap water. Not that I did. Just FYI if you're traveling there.
  • If you're single and looking to flirt and have fun, "Adults only" resorts are predominantly couples. Look for family resorts, as there are more singles at these resorts.  
  • You will always over pack. I packed workout clothes for every single day, 6 different casual outfits, and 5 evening outfits. I NEVER wore any of my casual wear. I only wore 2 workout outfits (Yeah, working out every day didn't happen. Haha). And 4 evening outfits (I had one drunken night...). 
  • Bring an extra bag to place your wet clothes. The outfits I didn't wear ended up being damp. Laundry sucked yesterday!! LOL. 
  • Never trust the forecast. It only rained one evening and the last day we were there. We are very blessed that the weather so beautiful! 
  • On day 2 of your trip, you tend to get crazy and over drink. DON'T! You will end up regretting a lot of things! 
  • Riu hotels are so beautiful! If you ever plan a trip, I highly recommend any Riu hotels. 
  • Breakfast buffet has never been good. Of all the 3 times I've been to Cancun, breakfast was my least favorite meal. I ate guacamole and bacon for breakfast most of the time, cereal on the eve of our last day, and then skipped breakfast on the last day. I wasn't mad about it. Haha. 
  • Don't trust American's taste buds. These two girls from Seattle suggested we eat at the Kulinarium restaurant. It was the MOST disgusting food ever!! We ended up going to dinner buffet, which was GREAT! Haha.
  • Bring aloe lotion - because you will burn by Day 3. I am so glad my sister prepared for that! 
  • Always stick to champagne, mimosas, or order top shelf liquor. Everything else was so sugary!  Avoid their well drinks!! We had a tequila shot that tasted like medicine. Yuck!
  • Get involved with all the resort activities. You will be surprised at how fun some of them will be. Who would of thought a Michael Jackson show would be so entertaining? Haha. 
  • Sometimes when people are haggling you for money (specifically taxi drivers), believe them when they tell you they can get you to the airport faster than waiting on the airport shuttle. We had an eventful trip coming back home! 
  • Always find the "good" in a bad situation. Although we had to pay $20 for a taxi cab (because our original Shuttle guy dropped us off at the wrong terminal). Taking the taxi cab actually allowed us to make it to our gate (barely) 10 minutes before boarding. If we would have waited for the airport shuttle, we would have missed our flight.
  • Surprises are welcomed! Our flight to Cancun had 3 seats on our row, however we had the row to ourselves! And somehow, we were assigned to Delta Comfort (business seats) coming back home. How did this happen? It was definitely a pleasant surprise! AND the guy sitting next to me by the window moved to sit with his wife. So we had a row to ourselves again!! And Houa sat in the wrong seat (sitting on the isle seat where I was supposed to sit), so I got the window seat again!!! HAHAHA suckaaaaaa!!!! 
  • NEVER come back home from a foreign country on a Monday evening. Customs was a nightmare!! We waited an hour just to get through Customs. 
  • Download the Mobile Passport (CBP authorized) app prior to landing back to the states. You will get through Customs a lot quicker. We saw a lot of people doing that and leaving the crazy long line to get through. We didn't pick up on what everyone was doing until 45 mins had passed. 
  • Take a lot of pictures, even if it takes up a lot of storage on your phone. We documented our trip on Instagram Feed and have several funny moments we can look back on. 

Overall, I had a wonderful time in Cancun for our birthday. This trip wasn't as crazy as 2016, but we still had a great time. And I have a really nice tan now! 

This will likely be my last trip to Cancun. I'm ready to explore other places! 

Comments

Popular Posts